WELCOME TO THE READING ROOM!
I am looking forward to serving you and your child. I have seen lots of success in the reading room and it is very rewarding. I would not see so much success without the working partnership with parents. I thank you in advance. Feel Free to call or come in and check in with me about your child.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
· A folder will come home Monday-Friday (15 minutes of reading each day on the weekend-free read)
· In that folder will be a calendar with an assignment for each night. If there is no assignment on the calendar due to a liturgy, an assembly, etc. please have your child do a “free read” for that night. Free read is allowing your child to pick a book to read. I recommend chapter books in 3rd and 4th grades. Your child’s free read book should be at their enjoyment level, not their teaching levels so they will enjoy reading.
· The calendar should be signed by a parent each night. Older siblings are OK once in awhile. Your child should be reading each night. Practice, practice, practice.
· When the calendar is not signed for 2 nights then your child will spend recess reading or working on an assignment that is undone. If there is a family emergency or something comes up, please let me know so your child can be excused that day.
· The word list is important because the new vocabulary makes the story easier to read and understand. Your child should be able to recognize, read and understand the meaning of the words.
· Share read means that you and your child can share paragraphs or pages together. Your child will be able to model from you and enjoy the story at the same time. At the beginning of the school year I would like you to share read so your child will not be so overwhelmed . Later in the year reading should be a little more fluent. If you find the pace is a little frustrating for you go ahead and share read. Let me know what you are experiencing at home.
The students that come to me have enjoyed the quiet room (some just need this) and the small group setting. We work hard and enjoy each day. I feel I have a strong, working relationship with your child.